Friday, November 10, 2017

Safety Tidbit 3.12 - Radon


Safety Tidbit 3.12 – Radon

                  US EPA’s Website on Radon – www.epa.gov/radon
                  PA DEP Website on Radon – www.dep.pa.gov/radon

Last Friday, I had a radon mitigation system installed in my home. This week I am sampling to see if the control is doing its job. So, why is Radon significant enough that I put in engineering controls into my home to reduce exposures?  The Environmental Protection Agency says nearly 1 out of every 15 homes in America is estimated to have elevated radon levels. Scientists calculate 15,000 to 22,000 lung cancer deaths in the U.S. each year are related to radon. The natural breakdown of uranium in soil, rock, and water releases radon gas. This radioactive gas can be detected in homes, offices, and schools

Radon gets into our homes through:
    Cracks in the solid floors
    Construction Joints
    Cracks in walls
    Gaps in suspended floors
    Gaps around service pipes
    Cavities in walls
    The water supply

Pennsylvania has one of the most severe radon problems in the United States. Approximately 40 percent of Pennsylvania homes have radon levels above Environmental Protection Agency's action guideline of 4 picocuries per liter. By the way, my house tested at 9.4. You can check your own home. You can go to your local home remodeling store and pick a test kit up for about $10.  Often, there are free sources as well as part of a public health outreach.

Well, I hope my system is doing its job. I had only clay under my home (no stone), so my mitigator used a high-suction versus high-volume pump to get the necessary negative pressure at the distal points in my basement. Now, I have a gentle hum outside my back wall that lets me know it’s working. The U-tube manometer on the pipe in the basement helps as well. 

Bottom line, if you don’t know the level of radon in your home, please test it, and if the levels are high, mitigate them. I was not a very good IH as I procrastinated way too long before putting in mitigation. Fortunately, I am only now looking to finish off my basement and haven’t spent much time down there.

Hope this was helpful and thanks for reading my Safety Tidbits! Comments and questions are always welcome. ~ Bryan

P.S. If you have an interesting safety or health question please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment