Friday, June 9, 2017

Safety Tidbit 2.43 - Bicycline Safety Tips


Safety Tidbit 2.43 – Bicycling Safety Tips

Reference:        BicycleSafe.com
                        Adventure Cycling Association

Ok, is there something in the cosmos that is making people act stupid??? I was finishing my bicycle ride yesterday and as I came down the road to turn left into my housing development, a driver at the stop sign at the corner of the street opposite my development was making a left out of their development. She's turning left and I'm turning left, she had a stop sign, I did not. I had my hand out as my turn signal but put it back on the handlebars as I needed both hands to hit the brakes as the driver pulled out so slowly I nearly had to come to a complete stop before I could turn. But wait, it gets better, the driver had the nerve to put her window down and yell at me for not having my turn signal on to let her know that I was turning left. Oh, but I did have my signal “on” however, my hands can’t do two things at once and brakes seemed to me to be more important. And yes, I was wearing a bright orange shirt with reflective lettering on it although this was at lunchtime. REALLY!!! I'm in the middle of the stupid road on a bicycle!!! Hello!! Where do you think I'm going?? And, besides, I had the right of way.  Not that that matters with the law of gross tonnage

Since it’s finally getting to be bicycling weather again, I thought maybe a few tips might be in order.

1. Avoid busy streets – I live in a suburb so not always possible.
2. Light up – Going to buy a daylight blinking light for front and rear.
3. Take the whole lane when appropriate – I was in the middle of the street.
4. Signal your Turns – I did but I can’t keep it “on” when I have to brake.
5. Re-think music players and mobile phones – I never ride with headphones or music playing.
6. Ride as if you were invisible – I think this is the only thing that has kept me alive this long!

My biggest investment this year will be a set of blinking LED lights for the front and back of my bicycle.  LED technology makes it quite easy for cyclist to be seen even on bright sunny days.  I have been riding my whole life. I believe it is the easiest way for just about anyone to exercise. Also, it’s a nice alternative to driving a car. Besides, it’s fairly inexpensive.  For about $1,000 from a bicycle shop you can get a very nice, properly fitted bicycle that will last for many years with general care and maintenance. I have had my bicycle for 11 years now and put between 1000-2000 miles each summer on it and it still is going strong.

Hope this was helpful and thanks for reading my Safety Tidbits! Comments and questions are always welcome. ~ Bryan

P.S. If you have a burning safety or health question please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment